Increasingly in recent months, social media has become one of the core signals used by search engines in ranking new content. Of course, we don’t know this to be a fact for sure (none of the major search engines will reveal exactly how they rank websites), but we do know how the rankings respond when social media is integrated into SEO plans.
So to help you capitalize on this growing trend and make the most of your SEO efforts, both in terms of results and ROI, here are a few of the most effective social signals for your site:
- Google+ Authorship – Even after nearly two years, we don’t know just how valuable Google+ is as a social network. Even with more than 200 million users, it often looks like a ghost town, but that doesn’t stop Google from using it as a prime signal for its search rankings, in particular when it comes to Authorship. There is some discussion of late about whether Google+ authorship really matters, but the results we see for people who use it actively shows that attribution will only continue to grow as an important factor for Google’s algorithms.
- Total Shares – It’s impossible to know how much weight is placed on the number of shares you get from social media sites, but we know it is measured. The issue of course is that these can be easily manipulated. Even with Facebook, Twitter and others actively cracking down on fake shares, it’s relatively easy, with $25 to get a couple hundred likes on an article. That said, real likes and shares from real accounts are always valuable.
- Unique References – The number of unique references, meaning original tweets, Facebook Posts, Google+ shares or pins on Pinterest, have a huge impact as well. While many people share and re-share content actively, when someone goes out of their way to create a new citation, it’s seen as a more valuable link.
- Multimedia Citations – Citations in multiple media types are big too. That means social sharing on YouTube, Pinterest, Facebook, and others in text, images, and video format.
- Traffic from Social Media – Of course, the bottom line is that all of this sharing needs to turn into traffic. If Google sees 40 hits a day reaching your site, spending a lot of time on the site and reading your content from Facebook, that’s important. So too is the source of that traffic. A share from Justin Beiber, for example, would probably hold more weight than from Sal’s Deli down the street.
How to Capitalize on This
The mere act of sitting here and trying to dissect what works and what doesn’t is dangerous, because social media, by its very definition is about engaging with readers and building relationships, not driving hits and improving SERPs.
So if you focus too heavily on these things, you’ll never see the same results as a big brand or speaker who spends hours a day answering people’s questions and building relationships with those followers.
The future of SEO is in the relationships you build and the marketing you perform, much the same as offline marketing for a brick and mortar business or service. You can pull all the tricks in the book, but at the end of the day, the real success stories will come from those who use their greatest asset best – themselves.
Meteora Automation Tool to Boost Instagram Engagement and Sales
By now, it’s been clearly proved that Instagram isn’t something of a wet squib. It has exploded on the social media scene like a big bomb, and gone on to become one of the fastest growing social networks. All kinds of product-based businesses and influencers from...
Instagram 5xx Server Error – What is that mean? [Explanation]
No website can avoid running into the occasional glitch and problem, and when you consider how vastly complicated many social media websites are, it’s not surprising that their users encounter lots of different errors and difficulties at various times. There are so...
Instagram Live Isn’t Working, Why? [Quick Fix – 2020]
What Is Instagram Live? Social media websites are always looking for new tools and features to appeal to their users, and Instagram is certainly no exception to that rule. Instagram Live panders to the trend of immediacy, and also creates a sense of urgency to be...
Instagram, Reporting A Problem (How can you report?)
Why You Might Need To Report A Problem Instagram is amongst the most popular of social media websites, and enjoys enormous amounts of traffic and users everyday. It has several different facets and functions available to its users, so it’s no surprise that sometimes...
Instagram Hashtags Not Working [Solution – 2020]
Why Use Hashtags? Hashtags are one of the biggest trends on the internet right now. They’re a very useful tool which allows people to collate related data, connecting it across different channels and cutting through some of the noise generated by social media’s...
Instagram Won’t Let Me Log In [How to fix it? – 2020]
Social media is becoming increasingly popular, and Instagram is amongst the top ones, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t run into issues occasionally. These can occur on the browser, the app, or both, but no matter what, they often lead to frustration and time wasted...
Instagram Keeps Crashing When I Open It [Solution – 2020]
If you, like most people, find yourself checking your phone compulsively for updates, new pictures, posts to favourite, and are generally a social media addict, you may find that you do run into the occasional frustrating glitch, even with your favourite programmes....
What is Instagram Blocking Limit? – Instagram Blocking List Details 
If i ask you about the rising trend in the world of technology what comes to your mind? Instagram, isn’t it? As a result of its Facebook purchase, Instagram has been developing day by day. The application first came to be known with the photo sharing feature and in...